About the Identity Verification Process
This article addresses frequently asked questions about the identity verification process when signing up for Levels.
In this Article:
- How is my identity verified?
- What exactly do I need to submit during the identity verification process?
- What are best practices for successfully submitting identification?
- Why do you need access to my ID, Phone Number and Address Needed?
- Who has access to my verification data?
How is my identity verified?
Levels works with Stripe to conduct identity verification online. Stripe works with millions of companies around the world like Amazon, Google, and Zoom, and they use bank-level security to ensure your data stays safe.
Stripe will confirm your identity by conducting the following checks:
- Stripe will capture an image of the front and back of your government-issued photo ID and review it to ensure that the document is authentic. Their identity verification technology looks for patterns to help determine if an ID document is real or fake. This process is like a bank teller checking your ID document to confirm that it’s real.
- Stripe will capture photos of your face and review them to confirm that the photo ID belongs to you. They’ve built identity verification technology that looks for distinctive characteristics of your face - things like the shape of your nose and eyes - and then checks if these characteristics match the photo on your ID document. This process is similar to a bank teller confirming that the photo on your ID document is you, it’s just higher-tech.
What exactly do I need to submit during the identity verification process
What are some best practices for successfully submitting proof of identification?
The quality of the images captured affects success rates dramatically. Below are a few best practices to help ensure that your verification succeeds
- A valid government-issued photo ID document – not a photocopy or a picture of an ID document. Ensure that the ID document is not expired.
- Use a mobile device with a camera (rather than a webcam), if possible. Cameras on mobile devices typically take higher-quality photos than a webcam. Mobile photos must be taken on the latest versions of Chrome and Safari.
- Capture a clear image. Make sure that the images are not too dark or bright, and don’t have a glare. Hold steady and allow your camera to focus to avoid blurry photos.
- Do not block any part of your ID document in the image. Ideally you can lay it flat to take the photo.
- Do not block any part of your face. Remove sunglasses, masks, or other accessories.
- Find a location with good lighting. Avoid spaces with strong overhead lights that cast a shadow on your face or ID document. Avoid sitting directly in front of a bright light which can wash out your face and add a glare to your ID document.
Why do you need my ID, Phone Number, and Address?
Levels currently uses a medical device that's available by prescription-only in the US (through our partner physicians), and therefore, you must show proof of identity and residency in one of our live US states in order to get approved for a subscription.
Who has access to my verification data?
Both Levels and Stripe will have access to the information that you submit through the verification flow. We rely on Stripe to help securely store your verification data. Stripe uses access controls and security standards that are at least as stringent as those used to handle their own customer and payments compliance data.